The latest information from the Office of the Assemblies can be found on the Dashboard.
Student Assembly Spring 2016 Special Election
On this page… (hide)
Click here to view the election results.
Click here to view the candidate profiles.
Four vacancies will be filled via this Special Election. They include:
- LGBTQ Liaison At-Large
- Arts and Sciences Representative
- Engineering Representative
- Hotel Administration Representative
Any full-time undergraduate student is eligible for the position of LGBTQ Liaison At-Large. For college specific representatives, you must be a full-time undergraduate student registered in that specific college in order to be eligible for the position. The duration of the term in this Special Election is for the remainder of the 2015–2016 academic year. The deadline for registration is 4:00pm on Wednesday, February 10, 2016.
The 2016–2017 academic year term for these positions will be filled via the regular Spring Election later this semester. The deadline for registration is 12:00pm (noon) Friday, February 26th, 2016. More information will be released at a later date.
- Read through the Student Assembly Election Rules, available in the next section, and be familiar with the other campus governance documents (including, but not limited to, the Campus Code of Conduct).
- Fill out the online registration form: https://cornell.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_diMVdDhS0Y63ERD
- Gather the appropriate number of signatures using the petition form. Submit your petition forms to the Office of the Assemblies (109 Day Hall) by the registration deadline for the Special Election (Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 4:00pm). Note: We recommend that you collect 20% more than the number of signatures listed below. You must collect Student ID numbers (not NetIDs) in order for a signature to count.
- LGBTQ Liaison: at least 150 signatures (from any full-time undergraduate students)
- Arts and Sciences Representative: at least 100 signatures (from full-time undergraduate students in Arts and Sciences)
- Engineering Representative: at least 75 signatures (from full-time undergraduate students in Engineering)
- Hotel Administration Representative: at least 75 signatures (from full-time undergraduate students in the School of Hotel Administration)
- Attend the Mandatory Campaigning Meeting, 7:00pm-8:30pm on Thursday, February 11, 2016.
- Attend at least one Student Assembly general body meeting. The Director of Elections can waive this requirement in extenuating circumstances.
- Apply to serve on at least one Student Assembly Committee. You can apply online: http://assembly.cornell.edu/dash/index.html#staffing/
- Submit the candidate Expense Report to the Office of the Assemblies by 3:00pm on Thursday, February 18, 2016.
Candidates and supporters acting on their behalf may not do the following before the commencement of campaigning (campaigning begins on February 12, 2016):
- Announce their candidacy on social media platforms in order to collect signatures
- Announce their candidacy in front of a classroom during class hours in order to collect signatures
- Circulate unattended petitions
- Distribute printed campaign materials to the public
- Advertise their candidacy by chalk, poster, or other method designed for public viewing
- Make speeches or statements to student organizations or groups of students
- Promote their candidacy through email, social networking tools, or other digital media
The Elections Committee may challenge or disqualify a candidate if a violation is found to compromise the fairness of the election. Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions.
Any member of the Cornell community may challenge a candidate in the election if they have evidence that the candidate violated the Student Assembly Election Rules, the Campus Code of Conduct, or another policy document that the candidate is obligated to follow. The form, located in the downloads sections, is the only way a challenge can be submitted. Challenges must be submitted in person to the Office of the Assemblies before the challenge deadline.
Please note: most of these documents can be filled out electronically using Adobe Reader or Acrobat. Please do not submit handwritten documents when electronic ones are possible.
- Spring 2016 SA Election Rules
- Spring 2016 (Special Election) SA Election Calendar
- Spring 2016 (Special Election) SA Petition Form
- Spring 2016 (Special Election) SA Challenge Form
- Spring 2016 (Special Election) SA Expense Report
- Example Promotional Quarter Card
- Example Promotional Poster